Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Plants I hate

I did 10 hours for the gardening job today. I was working alone again, and really, only two things happened. I found a dead bird (it looked like a robin, maybe died last fall?) and I found a 4-leaf clover.

I also decided, there's the gardening job, and there's the gardening joy. Joy usually occurs in my own yard, I'm projecting, because I don't have any of the plants I hate there. Joy and job are pretty close in this aspect, so I shouldn't make it sound too negative.

But, oak trees, why do you have to keep your leaves so long, and then drop them in the ground cover? I fish out your leathery bits for hours. And ground cover (really, most of it, but I'm especially tired of cottoneaster and vinca today), why do you have to hoard so many oak leaves? There's plenty for everyone, and I still end up leaving you quite a bit to hide, since it's impossible to pull it all out with a rake, or even your gloved hand.

A minor annoyance, obviously. At the end of the day, I took a shower and ran off to belly dancing class. After my usual circle through the alley and downtown, I ended up in my usual parking place near the movie theater. On the sidewalk, there was another dead bird, larger than the first - maybe a crow, or a pigeon? I didn't even want to look, as it was more recently deceased. I did not find another 4-leaf clover, or penny to balance it out.

1 comment:

  1. My most tragic memory of Farmer's Alley is going out for lunch from work and finding a small, dead KINGFISHER laying there. I can't shake it.

    ReplyDelete