Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Vacation from Triggers

This summer, I went on a 10 day wilderness and folk art driving trip. Thanks to my cell provider's misinterpretation of the word "unlimited", I had very little contact with the social media, news, and daily anger of American life. Did I really miss it? Yes, and also no.

Take me back, I had no cell reception here.


Yes, because I like being connected with friends. That's what was promised, right? But no, because when I got back, it was very clear that my friends can't help themselves from a toxic connection to outrage.

I can't even relate a classic example, because the particulars change hourly. Something was tweeted! We must all take sides and denounce / celebrate, as required. A pronouncement must be made, or evil will be allowed to flourish. And on, and on and on. Use the quote!

What you realize on the beach, is that it doesn't change anything. The waves come in. The rocks are unmoved. The clouds hover towards shore, mist descends, sun burns it away.

What is so clear when you're not right in the middle of the muck, is that you don't need to take a side. It will continue whether you have or not. A twitter beef literally does not matter. Proves nothing. The only thing that matters is voting or actual criminal charges. No, I'm not naive. Your opinion is irrelevant, and so is mine. So many hot takes, for nothing. Served cold, in 36 hours.

Of course, if it's an issue that personally affects you, have a take! But for many of these controversies, you can observe from afar and maintain your sanity, dignity and clear headedness. A bit of vacation in your life from the daily outrage.



No comments:

Post a Comment