Sunday, June 17, 2012

I have come to kill your kittens, or why awesome is unsustainable.

So, our friend Kelly (she is your friend, too) found kittens in her garage. Adorable kittens with names. Another friend insisted that they must be killed before they reproduce and create a feral kitten colony in Kelly's garage.

And this is where is I leave the MUST! / have to /  everyone-knows ____  religion of high-achievement and being the best you can be. Really? Killed?



Because sometimes the best you can be is = meh. (Not that there is any evidence of that above!!!)

Confession: I'm not always following my spirit guide. I'm not even using my "whole ass" (as opposed to my "half-ass"?). I'm doing the best I can with tools that were available at the time. I am not impressed with this effort either, but sometimes I am surprised by how much more that is than what is frequently "brought to the table".

I guess I'm apologizing. I should have written a book by now. I should have cured some diseases (or at least successfully fought off CANCER FOREVER!!!!). I should have been traveling the whole time and being an enviable elegant classy lady. I should be making a million dollars a year, living with my SOUL MATE! and flying a helicopter or something.

But, I love kittens. Kittens deserve a chance. I understand that feral cats have miserable lives, will overtake the neighborhood, pee on everything. Fluffy tabby kittens. Feral mangy black cats. Is there nothing in between?

So there. I said it. I am not always on. I am not even trying. I just want to be on when it's important, which is nearly a random occurrence. So you try to be the best you can on a regular basis, but you can't always be awesome. And that's okay. You go, kittens. I'm on my way, too.

3 comments:

  1. I think she was just making black / white style blanket statements, rather than an actual threat to Kelly's kittens, and therefore I will keep her identity to myself. I'm annoyed by black/white judgement making generally, while of course loving the certainty of it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is these black/white statements all over the place lately that make US feel as if we have to be "awesome" all of the time. Little contributions make as big of an impact as large contributions. there is a whole lot going on between fluffy and mangy, people just choose not to acknowledge it...there are so many shades of grey and without them life would lack depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a t-shirt that says "There's a lot going on between fluffy and mangy!'

    ReplyDelete