Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cool things I saw on the first run of 2011

I ran my lame "medium" loop today, thought of all the reasons it's funny to run in a circle. In the long run (HA!), I guess it's all good as long as you get home.

1. Big hole on Park Street, sadly right next to a mature tree. I'm pretty sure the tree will die. It was probably 5 or 6 feet deep, nice and square, with a wooden ladder inside and broken PVC pipe visible. Surrounded by snow fence. I stopped running to look in, because how often do you find an abandoned fresh hole on a snowy Sunday?

2. Dancing plastic flower in a pot in the bay window of the house in the corner. I wonder if it was one of those sound-activated ones, and what sounds it was dancing to?

3. My ipod died 2/3 of the way into the run, right at the beginning of an epic Radiohead song that would have been fun to run to. Since I wasn't listening to music, I just ran with my ear buds in because it was too much hassle to put them away. I think this made the young dude in a driving cap feel free to yell "Fuck you!" at his car as he ran out the front door of a rental house and climbed in. The car started, so he was must have been a lucky man.

2 comments:

  1. I love the blank page concept of the new year - much better to realize that it will eventually be full and most likely unreadable by the end.

    my, we'll call it a goal instead of a resolution, is to start running, which was inspired by you! I have started slow, at home, on the treadmill. I hope by the end of the winter I will be brave enough to head outside.

    Thank you for being my inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's so nice! Soon you will see my secret - that it's all in your mind.

    ReplyDelete