Friday, May 18, 2012

Navel Gazing. Literally.

It's almost Christmas for belly dancers of Kalamazoo (meaning, the Greek Festival is nigh) and I'm starting to fret about bellies. I realize this is ridiculous, but aren't all thoughts that cross the screen?

I wish I could love my belly like Princess Farhana. I'm not quite there. I remember talking with one of the more experienced dancers for an academic paper she was writing and revealing (ha!) that I had never shown my stomach in public as an adult. "Well, it's not required," she said, almost recoiling. And when I look around at my fellow dancers, I don't see any Sport Illustrated swimsuit models with airbrushed abs or anything. I just don't feel confident.

I only know one way to fix that, and it occurred to me today, it still might not work. As a woman, you always think if you can lose enough weight, you will be perfect. But that's not true. Number one, you can never be perfect, which is perfect in itself. And it's not about weight. Is it about love?

So, I have to learn to love my own belly. Damn. I'm still getting some self-tanner before the Greek Festival. Does anyone know what kind to get so I don't turn trying-not-to-be-Irish orange?

2 comments:

  1. Oh. I am with you, sister. I mean, I'm comfortable wandering around with my Rubinesque belly all covered up, but out? OUT?! I am all up in the closet with my belly. It really seems to be taking up more shelf space than i thought it was the last time I checked, too.... Say, speaking of bodies and such, have you watched that new show "GIRLS" on HBO? I thought it was gonna be all "I'm the new hip Sex In The City" and I totally HATED Sex in the City, so i avoided it for a while. Now I feel dumb. Sooooper, doooper dumb. I highly recommend it. Written by, directed by, and starring some hilarious young woman who has the audacity to let her pear shape just BE THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love hilarious pear-shaped women, so I WILL check that out. Also, I thought you should all know the answer is apparently Sally Hansen spray-on leg make-up, but on your belly.

    ReplyDelete