Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why I Am Always Right

Mostly because you've convinced me. Or I've convinced myself that you've convinced me. But I'm trying to avoid living in cognitive dissonance any longer. Than necessary. Yes, more weasel words. Because I also know that I will fail.

But the goal is to try again, yes? Yes.

For example, I got sucked into one of those horrible female marketing pyramid schemes that are prevalent in the workplace for women's products. (I don't mean to sound so gender specific, but I don't believe that they sell, say, tools this way. Just jewelry, candles, "home decor", etc.) I thought I knew what I was getting into, wanted to be "supportive" to a co-worker in what seemed like a harmless way, so she could have her spot on the pyramid. Yes, I know it was going to cost me some money. But I like jewelry, right?

In the end, I'm disgusted and embarrassed and willing to say it public so I don't do it again. I don't need any jewelry. This jewelry, in fact, sucks. I could get the same thing at, say, Steinmart, for much less money. In addition, I had blacked out the "Christian-based" background of this particular company, so I had to sit through some very annoying use of the word "blessed". AND THEN I hung around eating crackers for too long, so I also got to hear the "mother" sales figure inform the "daughter" sales figure that she never emphasizes the fact that the more money the customer spends, the more they can send to "mission". So yes, I just bought some ugly cheap jewelry I don't need to support Christian missionaries I don't support in theory.

I state this in public because I know that at least one more co-worker will have a "party". I must stay strong! I would like to be nice about it, but I'm no longer convinced. I would love to try on jewelry at a friend's house. But it should be nice jewelry. There should be no incentive to purchase more, or host further parties. The transaction should end when everyone feels satisfied.

And here is where I give away an idea: what if I hosted a jewelry party (or you, because ideas of free)?Gather all of your jewelry making friends and offer them a table at your house for an evening to display the sparkles. Then, invite all of your other friends to shop from them. Make some snacks. Ask each jeweler to leave a piece for the hostess. All other business is between the jeweler and the customer. There's no presentation. Snacks and wine flow freely. Everyone feels like they went to an actual party, and not a sales presentation. Wouldn't that be better?

Anyway, at least I discovered the You Are Not So Smart blog (linked in the first paragraph on the "convinced"). So I know I'm not crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment